172 pages – Suggested weeks to complete 20 weeks minimum
Table of Contents
Chapter One – Sixteenth Century Spain: Teresa’s Hour
Chapter Two – Teresa of Avila: Coming of Age
Chapter Three – The Call to Reform: The Mandate to Write
Chapter Four – Teresa’s Writings: Style & Format
Chapter Five – The Interior Castle: The First & Second Dwelling Places
Chapter Six – Complacency: The Third & Fourth Dwelling Places
Chapter Seven – The Prayer of Union: The Fifth Dwelling Place
Chapter Eight – The Wound of Love: The Sixth Dwelling Place
Chapter Nine – The Seventh Dwelling Place & Teresa’s Foundations
A sample two-hour session
7:00 p.m. – Hellos
7:15–7:20 p.m. – Opening Prayer
7:20–7:40 p.m. – Read
7:40–8:00 p.m. – Discuss
8:00 p.m. – Break
8:10–8:30 p.m. – Read
8:30–8:50 p.m. – Discuss
8:50 p.m. – Closing Prayers/Announcements
9:00 p.m. – Goodbyes
- Listen to an audio Chapter 1 of St. Teresa of Avila
- FORMED Now! Teacher of Prayer: Saint Teresa of Avila
- Debunking Myths & Lies About the Inquisition
- St. Teresa of Avila: Teacher of Prayer YouTube Playlist
- The Female Saints & Doctors of the Church YouTube Playlist
- On Prayer & Healing YouTube Playlist
Make a one-time gift to Endow to help women all over the world discover their God-given dignity!
Become a monthly supporter and join the Feminine Genius Circle!
I am currently doing the St. Teresa of Avila study with a friend. It is AMAZING. Thank you for all you do!Kari
At the heart of this study is the passionate, unrelenting love of St. Teresa of Avila, the famous 16th century Spanish nun who became the first female Doctor of the Church. With her feminine heart and deep spiritual wisdom, St. Teresa helps us embark on the spiritual journey that takes place within our souls. She guides us through what she coined “The Interior Castle,” where Christ abides in the center of our being. Her profound insight, conveyed in this study, leads us to a deepened relationship with Jesus, which empowers us to become pioneers like St. Teresa of Avila, forging our way with love through the new, exciting, and often challenging frontiers we face in life.
Note: Please excuse the formatting issues in this study.
Navigating the study
St. Teresa of Avila: Teacher of Prayer is one of Endow’s most thorough and robust studies! There are nine chapters to complete and we recommend a minimum of 16 weeks although the study can easily last up to 20 weeks.
A few quick notes for facilitators of this study:
- There is always a temptation to rush through a study in order to get through a chapter. Remember quality over quantity!
- After this study, if anyone would like to read St. Teresa’s writings, we highly recommend The Interior Castle and The Way of Perfection.
- There are many discussion questions in this study guide and it is impossible to answer all of them. It is up to the discretion of the facilitator to follow the lead of the women as well as the Holy Spirit in helping steward the questions that are most striking to the group! Ask St. Teresa to help guide your discussion!
The commentary for this study guide was written by Dr. Madelynn Winstead and Terry Polakovic, co-founder of Endow and author of the On The Dignity of Women (Mulieris Dignitatem) study.
How to get started
Step one – Register your group
Step two – Subscribe to the Endow Newsletter and ask your group to do the same!
Step three – Join us for our next virtual event. Check out our Events page.
The Endow team is here to support you in studying this important document! For an initial 20 minute Zoom meeting with us, please contact [email protected] with the subject line “Mentoring meeting”
We are here to support you
Throughout your study, as spiritual, theological, or pastoral questions arise, please contact Simone Rizkallah, Director of Program Growth, for support and additional resources to answer any questions that may arise! Please also consider emailing her testimonies from your group! We love to hear what the Lord is doing with your women!
Teacher of Prayer promotional kit